Thursday, October 8, 2009

Overview

Since the summer of 2007, I have devoted a portion of my life to the Dalit movement. This is not because I am more concerned with social justice issues than most people. It's not because I am typically more prone to philanthropy and community service. I have been passionately learning and spreading the news about this cause since the summer of 2007 because when I went to India, I experienced a world that I didn't think could exist today. I had heard of 3rd world countries, poverty, AIDS, and violence. I had never heard of the type of oppression that I experienced 1st hand in the slums of India, considered to be one of the absolute worst parts of the world.
I'm going to upload at least one picture from my trip to each post so you can hopefully get a feel of India and the Dalit people a little more.

This is a very complex issue occurring in India today and it won't be easy for me to try to clearly convey the severity and reality of the issue in ten posts... but I will do my best.



This blog will cover many different topics and hopefully reveal some insightful things that will surprise you. What I saw in India was astounding, and I hope to share a piece of that experience and what I have learned since then with anyone who will lend an ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment